Do I need to return my Gator Pass after I graduate?

You do not need to return your OneCard/ Gator Pass after you graduate. While you may have access to our OneCard amenities on campus, your Muni, BART, and SamTrans discount programs will be deactivated. Discounts will cease when you are no longer a student, but you can still use it as a regular Clipper card.


Should I register my Gator Pass with Clipper? How do I do so?

Students are encouraged to register their cards with Clipper by visiting www.clippercard.com. Registering your card protects your balance should you lose your card and need to replace it. It also lets you access your transaction history, set up automated loading of additional funds and choose to receive important Clipper updates. BART riders must load cash value on their Clipper card account in order to ride BART. Your Clipper number is printed on the back-side of your OneCard.


When I get on BART, Muni or SamTrans, do I have to tag/tap my Gator Pass on a card reader?

Yes. When riding any of our transit partners, you must tap your OneCard/Gator Pass on a transponder when entering a station or boarding a vehicle. Failure to do so is a failure to pay and may result in a fine. Find the Clipper card reader on the bus or at fare gates in stations or ferry terminals. Hold your card flat against the reader until you hear a beep and see a green light, or the fare gate displays “OK.” When riding BART, tap your OneCard on a fare gate when entering and exiting a BART station. The 50% fare discount will be applied for all rides to and from the Daly City BART Station during the semester. You may use your OneCard for any BART travel, but the discount will only be applied for travel to and from the Daly City BART Station. BART riders seeking the 50% discount must add Clipper cash value to their Clipper card to avail themselves of the discount.


My transit discounts aren’t working! What should I do?

Have you paid your tuition plus state and local fees?

Your transit discount/pass activation will be sent to Clipper when you pay your Gator Pass fee. After Clipper receives this activation it can take approximately one week for the various transit lines to download your new Gator Pass.

Was your state and local fees paid or waived?

The OneCard/Gator Pass transit discount is funded by a part of the state and local fees, therefore the fees must be paid and not waived in order for you to receive the transit discount.

Was your card recently printed at the OneCard office?

Assuming you have paid your Gator Pass fee, your transit discount/pass activation will be sent to Clipper when the new card is printed.  After Clipper receives this activation it can take approximately one week for the various transit lines to download your new Gator Pass. 

Does your account have an Alert for “Gator Pass - No Action Required”?

If you paid your fees, your Holds & Alerts on your Student Center portal should say that you have a “Gator Pass - No Action Required” message. If it does not, you either have not paid your fees or your Financial Aid disbursement was withdrawn. Once you have paid your state and local fees the “Gator Pass - No Action Required” service indicator should appear on your Student Center account. As the indicator says, no action is required on your part, and it is not a hold. This indicator will not prevent you from registering for classes.

Have you used your card at the Muni fare gates or the M line?

We recommend that you use the fare gates such as the ones located at West Portal station to download the product onto your OneCard. Muni fare gates are online and are connected to the transportation database directly. Buses such as the 28 or the 57 take longer to receive information about your OneCard/Gator Pass than the train system. The M line is also more up to date than the buses, and we recommend trying to tag your card on the transponders inside the M line train to download your discount/pass on your OneCard. Once the pass downloads on your card it should work on any Muni system train, bus or trolley (except cable cars), Bart and SamTrans.


How do I know if my Gator Pass transit discounts are working?

On the Muni transponder, it should read “TRAVEL OK PASS USED OK TO [END DATE]” (for the fall and spring semester). Alternatively, if you take BART, it should charge your card a price reflecting a 50% discount from the normal fare. You can also register your OneCard and check your “View Recent Activity” report at www.clippercard.com.


Can I use High Value BART tickets along with my OneCard/Gator Pass?

No. High Value Discount (HVD) products do not work in conjunction with your OneCard/Gator Pass for the duration of its activation time. Loading the HVD discount onto your OneCard will replace the Gator Pass transit benefit, and the only way to reacquire Gator Pass is to replace your ID card.


May I give or loan my OneCard/Gator Pass to someone else?

No. Your OneCard/Gator Pass is not transferrable. If someone else uses your card, it may be confiscated and you may be excluded from participating in the Gator Pass program. You may also be required to participate in the disciplinary process under Executive Order 1098, the University’s Student Code of Conduct procedures, which are available for review at the Office of Student Conduct. You may also face fines or other penalties for violating city or state codes or ordinances, such as the San Francisco Transportation Code, which, among other things, sets out fines for fare evasion or ineligible use of a transit pass.


If I withdraw from the University will I get a refund for the Gator Pass fee?

The answer is dependent on when you withdraw. If you withdraw from the University before completing 40% of the semester, you will receive a prorated refund based on the University’s proration calendar. Thereafter, there will be no refund.


When can I get my OneCard?

If you are not attending an official SF State orientation, go to the Students page for instructions on how to obtain your OneCard. Please review the steps you need to take before coming to the OneCard office.


What do I do if I already have a Clipper card?

You may keep it. Just be sure not to carry both cards in the same wallet or case so that you aren’t double charged by BART or Muni. Or, if you prefer, you can transfer cash value from your existing card to your Gator Pass Clipper card account via the Clipper Customer Service Center at (877) 878-8883. Clipper will charge an additional fee for each balance transfer. We advise you to use your balance making rides with your previous Clipper card before switching to use OneCard/Gator Pass.


I don’t use Muni, BART or SamTrans. What if I don’t want Gator Pass benefits? Do I have to pay the fee? Do I need to get a new card?

The Gator Pass fee is similar to other mandatory fees at the University: It is considered a cost of attendance and it is not a user fee. Its assessment is not dependent on any one student’s use of fee-subsidized services and programs, but rather it is assessed based on an understanding that the related service enriches student life and experience, helps the University provide additional services to students and generally creates an environment conducive to the University’s pursuit of its mission.


I loaded Gator dollars onto my card. Why doesn’t my card work on public transportation?

Gator Dollars and Clipper cash are two separate accounts on your OneCard. Generally, Gator Dollars are used for purposes like using copy machines and printers in the J. Paul Leonard Library, as currency in the Bookstore and vending/food locations across campus, etc. On the other hand, Clipper Cash is a separate account to pay for your transit. You may register your OneCard/Gator Pass on the Clipper website, www.clippercard.com to view your transit balance on your account. In addition, you can add funds online as well as deactivate the card in case it gets lost/stolen. You can also add Clipper Cash at Muni and BART fare machines in most stations.

Can I get a refund for my Gator Dollars? How about my Clipper value?

Eligible Gator Dollar refunds are subject to a $20 administrative fee. Approved refunds will be paid by check through normal University procedures and may take up to four weeks to process.

Access the Gator Dollars Refund Request Form

Refund Restrictions:

  • Gator Dollar balances prior to the consolidation of Gator Dollars and BayBuck$ into one campus debit account are not refundable
  • Gator Dollar amounts deposited by campus departments and programs (such as Housing, Guardian Scholars, etc.) are non-refundable
  • Guest cards are non-refundable

For your Gator Pass Clipper value, please contact Clipper at (877) 878-8883.


Can I use my preferred name for my OneCard?

Yes.  Any faculty, staff or student may choose to identify themselves within the University community with a preferred first and/or middle name that is different from their legal name. As long as the use of this preferred name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the OneCard Office will print cards using preferred names. You can print and fill out the form at Registrar Name Change Form and bring it with you to the Registrar to change your primary (legal) name in the system. After you have completed this, you are welcome to ask for the new card at the OneCard office. The modification for a preferred name can only be done once per semester. The OneCard Office will not charge you for the new preferred name card as long as you have your previous card with you. Otherwise there will be an administrative fee of $20 and a new card fee of $2 that will apply ($22 total).